What is the chiropractic treatment approach for headaches?
- Pain reduction - For both acute and chronic pain, the goal of treatment initially would be to reduce the pain, or to “break the pain cycle”. As the pain level is reduced, the muscles will relax, reversing the pain cycle.
- Restore normal joint mechanics – Depending on the examination findings, your chiropractor will then adjust (manipulate) the vertebral joints that are misaligned (subluxated) to restore proper movement within the joints. This may take place on the first treatment or on any subsequent treatments as deemed necessary.
- Improve flexibility and strength – Especially for tension-type headaches, it is important to improve the flexibility of the joints and muscles. Your chiropractor will advise you on appropriate stretching and strengthening exercises according to your physical needs and fitness level.
- Lifestyle adjustments – Other factors like exercises, diet, working posture, sleep etc. may play a vital role in the development and otherwise prevention of head and neck pain. Your chiropractor will work with you to identify lifestyle adjustments that will help you maximize the quality of your health.
How effective is chiropractic treatment for headaches?
For a list of research on the efficacy of chiropractic treatment of headache, please click here.
What are the Recommended Treatments for Headaches?*
- Spinal manipulation - for restoration of joint movements
- Dry-needling - for pain relief and relax muscles
- Ultrasound Therapy - for reducing inflammation
- Interferential Current Therapy - for relaxing muscles and enhance circulation
- Shockwave Therapy - to speed up tissue healing
Author: Dr Claudia Ng, BSc, DC
Most people in the Hong Kong (HK) region have experienced a headache at some stage in their lives. Previous research by specialists has found that while the rate of migraines and other headaches in HK have been lesser than in Western communities, it is higher than in mainland China.
If you’re tired of having your daily routine affected by headaches, there are plenty of resources for you to get the help you need. There are a range of specialist clinics across Hong Kong who can help direct you to the most appropriate treatment path. Any questions? Feel free to contact us for assistance.
* A proper diagnosis has to be obtained for all of the above conditions before an appropriate combination of treatments will be provided. This is just a list of possible treatments for the individual condition but not all of them may be necessary, nor is it limited to those listed only.